Sunday 15 April 2007

Alberto Gonzales' Defence?

Alberto Gonzales has written a column for the Washington Post entitled 'Nothing Improper' in which he argues that he has done nothing wrong.

There are a couple of statements that stand out:

"I know that I did not -- and would not -- ask for the resignation of any U.S. attorney for an improper reason. Furthermore, I have no basis to believe that anyone involved in this process sought the removal of a U.S. attorney for an improper reason."
I think that depends on his interpretation of an improper reason. Presumably, not prosecuting Democrats when asked is not improper.

"Additionally, I have instructed all Justice Department officials to make themselves available for on-the-record interviews with lawmakers and hearings before Congress, and I have ordered the release of thousands of pages of internal documents."
All Justice Department officials - except those who have resigned, perhaps? The release of thousands of pages of internal documents - except those that cause us a problem, perhaps? Those have been 'mislaid'.

"I have nevertheless asked the Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility to further investigate this matter. Working with the department's Office of Inspector General, these nonpartisan professionals will complete their own independent investigation so that Congress and the American people can be 100 percent assured of what I believe and what the investigation thus far has shown: that nothing improper occurred."
How many of the Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility staff attended conservative law colleges?

"During those conversations, to my knowledge, I did not make decisions about who should or should not be asked to resign."
Until proved otherwise, then I might have misstated.

"I am also telling our 93 U.S. attorneys that I look forward to working with them to pursue the great goals of our department in the weeks and months to come. During the past two years, we have made great strides in securing our country from terrorism, protecting our neighborhoods from gangs and drugs, shielding our children from predators and pedophiles, and protecting the public trust by prosecuting public corruption."


No mention of voter fraud?

"In part because of my own experience, I know the real strength of America. It lies in our Constitution, our people and our collective unyielding commitment to equal opportunity, equal justice, common decency and fairness."


Is that the same Constitution that whilst it says Habeus Corpus cannot be removed, it doesn't say that it applies to everyone?

I hope his two week preparation for his questioning by Congress is a bit better than this.

No comments: